Committee Announces Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest Winners
New Bedford, Massachusetts - During the month of February, the Greater New Bedford Area Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee and the City of New Bedford Human Relations Commission sponsored a “Black History Month” essay contest for New Bedford Public Schools students.
Students were asked to submit a 350 to 500-word essay on the accomplishments of Judge George N. Leighton or Professor Charles Ogletree Jr., two distinguished civil rights leaders and guest speakers at the 2008 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Ceremony. High School and Middle School students wrote about the significance of the contributions these leaders have made to society and how their actions reflect the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Today, on the 40th anniversary of Dr. King’s assassination, the committee announced the five essay contest winners:
• 1st Place Winner-$200.00 scholarship- Lee Anne Babineau of Keith Middle School
• 2nd Place Winner-$175.00 scholarship-Charlayne Delgado of Roosevelt Middle School
• 3rd Place Winner-$75.00 scholarship-Andrew Gonsalves of Keith Middle School
• 4th Place Winner-$50.00 scholarship-Elizabeth Haela of New Bedford High School
• 5th Place Winner-$50.00 scholarship-Leah Frechette of Keith Middle School
New Bedford Mayor's Office
View all articles by New Bedford Mayor's Office