AHA! (Art, History & Architecture)
AHA! presents 2nd Thursday year-round FREE nights of Art, History & Architecture programs in Downtown New Bedford with 37-venue partners.
Call us at 508-264-8859 or visit us at www.ahanewbedford.org.
The AHA! Project was formed in 1999 by a dedicated circle of cultural leaders, downtown businesses and individual artists. Since July of that year, the project has continuously presented its 2nd Thursday events. What originally included 14 venues now numbers 37 and spans eight galleries, three museums, The National Historical Park, City Hall and The Library, many of the downtown’s unique stores, restaurants and cafes as well as individual artist studios, a meditation center, several churches, The Bristol Building, The New Bedford Preservation Society and The UMass Dartmouth CVPA Star Store. AHA!’s mission is to collectively promote downtown culture and work towards greater sustainability of the downtown cultural scene and partner organizations.
AHA!’s articles on newbedford360.com are part of an expanding effort to bring more attention to the wealth of cultural events and experiences happening in downtown New Bedford.
Come listen to three authors discuss what they wrote, why they wrote it, and how they chose their respective subjects at “First Person, Second Story,” presented by AHA! at Cork in downtown New Bedford on April 25 from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
Written and directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsome, the documentary begins with this powerful quote from Alice Walker: “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” As the story unfolds, arresting statistics and images reveal the emerging reality that women are clearly underrepresented in today’s media, if not patronized, despite hard-won gains.
Join us on AHA! night when Downtown New Bedford comes alive with Art, History and Architecture! The weather in January may be frightful but the warmth of the Downtown community is delightful.
Organized and presented by AHA! & the City of New Bedford
Arrive early and stay late! Ring in 2012 with fireworks in Custom House Square - and be home in time to watch the ball drop in NYC Times Square – during part of this FREE family friendly celebration in Downtown New Bedford!
Come listen to three local authors discuss what they wrote, why they wrote it, and how they chose their respective subjects at “First Person, Second Story,” presented by AHA! at Cork in Downtown New Bedford on Oct. 20 from 7 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $35 and will include wine and tapas.
It’s our 2nd Thursday celebration of all things NB plus this month we join organizations across the country participating in National Arts & Humanities Month. So come early & stay late---there’s so much happening you will need the extra time to fit it all in!
The Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC) today announced the release of $765,500 to help revitalize communities and generate new economic activity through arts, science, and history projects across the state. AHA!, a collaborative project of the Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts, was one of 20 projects chosen for funding by the state-wide grant program.
Join us for Summer Sounds AHA! Night in Downtown New Bedford. Stroll the streets and be serenaded by a sampling of musical styles including jazz, folk, traditional bag piping, Caribbean steel drums, good ol’ rock-n-roll & more.
AHA! Night! Community Places & Sacred Spaces, May 13, 2010
Join us for the May 13 AHA! Night as art, history and architecture come alive through a celebration of the houses of worship and other unique spaces of Downtown New Bedford. May is also Preservation Month, the perfect opportunity to recognize the hard work of those who protect and care for our City’s history as well as taking the opportunity to explore the built environment & how it adds to the vibrant texture of New Bedford.
* Architectural Preservation Trolley Tour of New Bedford presented by WHALE
* Custom House Square Design Slide Slam: Visions by Roger Williams University students @ NB Whaling National Historical Park
* NB Preservation Society hosts Elm Award Ceremony @ the NB Public Library
* Evening Neighborhood Walking Tour led by Citizen Schools students & NB Preservation Society (presented in part by the RJD House & Garden Museum)
* Guided tour including Tiffany mosaic @ Pilgrim UCC
* UMD Kekeli African Drum and Dance Ensemble @ Zeiterion Performing Arts Center
* Calling all kids! Get a fresh view of Downtown with the Junior Ranger Program @ NB Whaling National Historical Park
* KiwiGreenLeft16: Works by Joel Monty @ Salon Lola
* NB Symphony Duos @ Grace Episcopal Church & Seamen’s Bethel.
* “Community Places”: Student exhibit featuring the Taylor, Gomes & Ashley Elementary Schools @ Artworks!
* What is the Sky? A community chalk mural created by the NB Boys & Girls Club & UMD CVPA
* AHA! Night Classical Music Series plus stroll the Labyrinth @ First Unitarian Church
* New AHA! Partner! The Performing Arts Coalition of the Zeiterion Theatre: The Z, NB Symphony Orchestra, NB Festival Theatre & the Southcoast Children’s Theatre
* Ribbon cuttings for the new location of Michelle Carr Photography & the restoration of the Custom House Square fountain
Join us tomorrow night as we celebrate the joys of Spring as well as the Emergence of fresh ideas, young talent & budding artists. The weather is going to be beautiful so come early and stay late. And be sure to tell everyone you know that it’s all happening in Downtown New Bedford!
* NB Public Schools Continuous Concert @ Zeiterion Performing Arts Center
* Celebrate Earth Eve with Massachusetts’ only Eco-Friendly People Powered Parade
* Right Whale Science Activities @ NB Whaling Museum
* Sicilian Reflections: Anthony J. Miraglia showing @ Judith Klein Art Gallery
* 2010 Graduate MFA Exhibition at UMass Dartmouth CVPA @ Star Store
* WHALE presents "Transforming New Bedford: The Story of WHALE” plus hear about the John Howland Jr. House Project
* NBAM’s Art@8: New Bedford Invitational Slide Slam featuring artists from central/downtown NB
* Mini-Spa: celebrate Spring with a night of beauty @ Calico
* Return of the AHA! Photo Booth @ the Garage
* Seed planting & newly-hatched Cardinal Fish @ NB Ocean Explorium
* Kite-making @ the NB Whaling National Historical Park
* Join special guests WCAI FM, the Cape and Islands NPR Station, for Pub Night @ Candleworks
* NB Public Schools District Wide Art Show Highlights featuring over 600 pieces of art
This evening also plays host to the annual "Earth Eve" People Powered Parade--Massachusetts’ only eco-friendly parade geared toward the 3 Rs: reducing, reusing and recycling!
AHA! Night: Carnevale!
# Dance to the Latin Roots Rock of Santa Mamba @ the Ginger Grill
# Carnevale Celebration with the Cummings Building Artists: mask making, steel drums & Carnival paintings by Alison Wells
# Toe Jam Puppet Band @ the NB Whaling Museum
# Paint Along with Roger Kizik @ NBAM
# The Olympic Challenge in Wings Court--stay tuned for exciting info!
# Carnevale music & cake tasting @ Sound Xplosion
# Poetry readings & musical interludes to celebrate National Poetry Month @ Pilgrum UCC
# Pre-Valentine’s trunk show with stationary designer Heather Toupin @ Calico
# Textile Talk by AHA! Artist of the Month Elin Noble @ CVPA
# NB Whaling National Historical Park 19th century interpreters, Abby and Ruth, discuss slavery and abolitionism in honor of Black History Month
# "Two if by Sea" pre-Valentine's dinner @ the Waterfront Grille
# 6 NEW exhibits @ Crowell's Fine Art, Gallery X, Colo Colo Gallery, CVPA @ the Star Store, Second Story Studio and Gallery & Artworks!